Saturday, November 13, 2010

Pecan Pie

So every year since I was born, my mom has made Thanksgiving dinner.  When we were kids we were banned from the kitchen for the whole day.  When we got a little older she let us help a little bit, but she's always done the majority of the cooking.  Well this year, she's handed the torch down to me, the youngest child.  For the most part, I'm sticking to the traditional recipes, but being a creative person I have to mess with a few of her recipes.  For starters, I'm frying a turkey instead of baking it.  I have always loved her pecan pie, but one of the main ingredients in it is Karo syrup, which I hate.  It has absolutely no flavor at all except super sweetness and I think I can do better.  I've also made a few other modifications that I won't mention.  And mom can't get mad at me for posting this because this is MY pecan pie recipe, not hers.

CJ's Pecan Pie



1 cup pecans
½ cup sugar
½ cup dark maple syrup
½ cup molasses
2 oz. good Bourbon (I like Gentleman Jack)
¼ cup melted butter
3 eggs – well beaten
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract 
1 8” or 9” unbaked pie shell
The white of 1 egg

Preheat oven to 350 and place a baking sheet to preheat as well.

In a saute pan, toast your pecans on medium heat.  They should be done when they're slightly browned and start to smell good 5-6 minutes maybe.  Just keep an eye on them and toss them around every 30 seconds or so.  

Combine the maple syrup, molasses, Bourbon, melted butter, beaten eggs, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl and whisk them until homogenous. Add in sugar, salt, and toasted pecans.  Pour into your pie shell.  Take your egg white and brush thoroughly around the edge of the piecrust.  

Place on your preheated baking sheet and cook for 50-60 minutes.  Let cool on a cooling rack for 30 minutes.  Serve hot with vanilla ice cream.  Enjoy!

Look at that beautiful crust!
-CJ

1 comment:

  1. You neglected to tell us how it tastes. Better than mine?

    ReplyDelete