Monday, November 22, 2010

Italian Meatball Pizza

So because the last update didn't have any pictures, I figured I'd show you guys what I made tonight.  That's right, a meatball pizza.  I didn't really feel like making my own crust, so I just used the next best thing: a Bobli crust.  Also, since I was out of cheap olive oil, I had to break into the olive oil my mom brought back from Italy.  Yeah, and holy crap is THAT shit good....    uuuuuuggggghhhh....

Italian Meatball Pizza

1 12" Bobli pizza crust
1 Yellow onion, chopped
3 Shallots, also chopped
1 Red bell pepper, cut into small pieces
1 Head garlic, top cut off exposing all the cloves
1 Package Italian sausage
1 Small package baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce (I like Classico Tomato Basil)
1 bag shredded mozzarella (Sargento is pretty consistently good)
Cayenne pepper
A heavy handful of basil (lots of basil), chopped
2 eggs
Kosher salt
Olive oil

Preheat oven to 350.

1. Combine onion, shallots, and bell pepper in a baking pan and drizzle some olive oil on top, mixing with your hands to make sure even coating.  Drizzle a little olive oil on the garlic head and find a good spot for it in the baking pan.  Roast for 45-50 minutes.

2. Take 3 sausages and make an incision down one side and peel the skins off.  Put in a mixing bowl and mix in a few heavy shakes of cayenne pepper, depending on how spicy you want the meatballs.  Crack in an egg and stir until combined.  With wet hands roll your meatballs into small 1/2" balls and line them up on another baking pan greased with more oil (I used canola for this to conserve my really good olive oil).  Pop them in when you have 20 minutes left on your veggies.

3. Take your meatballs and veggies out of the oven and preheat it to 425.  Coat your crust in a light layer of marinara sauce, maybe a couple tablespoons worth.  With a paper towel in hand so you don't burn the crap out of yourself, squeeze the head of garlic until all the cloves pop out.  Evenly arrange them on the pizza.  Pile on you onions and bell pepper, and on top of that pile on your cheese.  Evenly arrange your meatballs and sliced mushrooms.  Sprinkle a few heaping handfuls of fresh basil on top and drizzle the whole thing with a little olive oil.  Brush the crust with egg white and sprinkle with some Kosher salt.  Bake on 425 for 15 minutes or until the cheese turns a little brown.

And you should end up with something like this:

Pre-baked
Post-baked

Spicy meatball
Yeah, it was a pretty damn good pizza.  Don't ask me for a calorie count.  It's probably pretty bad.  But man was it good.  Ugh!!!

Noah has recently turned me on to a different kind of salt.  For all of my life I've been using Morton's Kosher Salt, and never knew there was really a difference other than size.  I figured, "It's a mineral.  How could one salt be any different from another salt?"  Well, I was wrong.  This is the salt I shall be using hence forth and shall be persuading all of my loyal readers to use:

Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt
Apparently, all the top chefs use this salt...  I found mine at Penzies.  Yay Penzies!!!

-CJ

No comments:

Post a Comment