Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Another Weekend Recap

This weekend I did several adventurous culinary things.  After a long night of partying I woke up and made Eggs Benedict using Alton Brown's Hollandaise recipe.  Not easy.  When I finished it looked beautiful!  Nice and creamy and rich, but by the time I was ready to serve it had congealed and looked like yellow brains.  AGH!!  All that work for something that was, although still delicious, looked like crap!  Oh well...  I need to figure out how restaurants manage to make large quantities of hollandaise and manage to keep it from becoming zombie fodder.

So, I have no pictures of anything that I did this weekend.  Sorry...  I was hungover.  Shut up.  But to go with my eggs benedict, I made a fruit smoothie.  During the summer months I was making them every damn day.  Fresh fruit was cheap and readily available and everything was good.  I went to the grocery store on Sunday morning and a box of blueberries was $7!!  Oh HEEEEELLLLLLL NO!  So I decided to go the frozen route and was pleasantly surprised.  While not as good as fresh fruit, it was really pretty good.  Here's what I did:

1/2 lb frozen blueberries
1/2 lb frozen raspberries
1/2 pineapple
1 banana
1-2 cups orange juice
2-3 Tablespoons yogurt
2-3 Tablespoons good local honey (buy local whenever possible)
A pinch of salt

Directions: Put everything in the blender.  Blend.  Drink.  Enjoy.

So that evening I made another batch of creme brulee, but I decided to do something a little different to it.  I added half a cup of espresso to it (and added an extra egg since I was upping the liquid).  It turned out fantastic!     

Tonight if the rain holds off I'm going to grill some chicken.  If it rains, I'll bake it.  We'll see.

-CJ

No comments:

Post a Comment