Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Flambed Pineapple

So a couple days ago I came across this cute little guy in the grocery store and fell in love:


I didn't really have anything in mind when I bought him.  He was just too cute to pass up.  But tonight after dinner I got a bit of a sweet tooth and decided to do something adventurous.  I flambed that sucker.  Here's what I did.

I quartered and peeled him until I had a few nice pieces of flesh.  Add a little bit of canola to a decent sized frying pan and add the pieces when the oil is good and hot.  I would say somewhere around medium heat.  Saute them until they have nice brown edges around them.  Sprinkle a little dark brown sugar over them and stir until the sugar kind of melts.  Cut your heat and add a shot of liquor (a nice dark rum would have been nice, but all I had was brandy, so I used that instead).  Take a fire stick and light that sucker ablaze.  Don't be afraid!  You're going to get a decent sized flame for a few seconds.  Exhilarating, isn't it?  Add a little nub of butter and reduce your sauce to a nice glaze.  Serve over vanilla ice cream. 

This was so good my wife isn't even talking to me anymore.  I just wish I'd gotten a picture of me flambeing that shit.  Would have been epic.

-CJ

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh. I want that now! You shoulda posted a pic of the finished product!

    ReplyDelete